Here is the third and final list of Things I’ve Learned as an Author for your reading pleasure.
1. Everyone has an idea for a book. Most of them will want to talk to you about it.
2. Don’t be surprised when people think you’ll get rich or become a household name by writing.
3. Don’t be surprised when reality hits and you realize writing pays more in personal satisfaction than monetary reward.
4. No matter how many books you have published, there are still things you can learn about writing.
5. The things that “all authors must do” aren’t really things all authors “must” do.
6. Step outside your comfort zone now and then with writing and promotion. Your fans will thank you.
7. When you start asking questions about how to commit illegal activities (such as poisoning someone or breaking into the Tower of London), people will look at you strangely until you mention you’re an author.
8. Get connected with other authors. Their support and advice are invaluable, especially if you’re a newbie.
9. You don’t need an agent to get published. You just need an agent to get published by big houses like Random House or Zondervan.
10. E-books are here to stay, and so are print books.
Be sure to check out Part 1 and Part 2 for more tidbits from my writing journey!